- Serves: 4
- Preparation time: 10 mins
- Cooking time: 180 mins
Menu Signatures Gourmet Chips
4 lamb shanks
few sprigs fresh rosemary
oil, to fry
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 onion, sliced
4 anchovy fillets, chopped
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
2 tbsp. tomato purée
splash red wine vinegar
1 x 75cl bottle full-bodied red wine
15 dried apricots, chopped
500ml beef or lamb stock
1. Preheat the oven to 160°C/320°F/gas mark 2
2. Using a sharp knife, make a few incisions in the side of each lamb shank and push in the rosemary sprigs
3. Heat the oil in a large heavy-based casserole dish. Add the lamb shanks and fry, turning frequently, until browned on all sides. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and remove from the dish
4. In the same pan, fry the onion, anchovies and garlic until softened, adding a little more oil if necessary, add the tomato purée and cook, stirring frequently, over a low heat for five minutes, add the vinegar and wine, bring to the boil and boil until reduced by a third.
5. Add the dried apricots and stock and bring back to the boil. Return the lamb shanks to the pan and cover with a lid. Transfer to the oven and cook for two and a half hours.
6. Cook Menu Signatures Gourmet Chips as per pack instructions
7. Serve the lamb shanks with Gourmet chips and green vegetables. Garnish with parsley.