- Serves: 45
- Preparation time: 1hr 30mins
- Cooking time: 2hrs 15mins
300g dates, rough chopped
300ml fresh orange juice/300ml hot water
300g McCain Chef Solutions Simply Mash
6 large beaten eggs
300g white plain flour
150g wholemeal plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C/Gas Mark 4.
2. Grease and line a 7cm x 12cm square cake tin.
3. Combine the sultanas, raisins, currants and chopped dates and cover with the fresh orange juice and hot water. Stir well, cover and set aside for 90 minutes.
4. Cook the Chef Solutions Simply Mash according to pack instructions. Mash and leave to cool.
5. Mix together the dry ingredients.
6. Tip the cooled mash into a large bowl and beat in the eggs a little at a time, alternating with the dry ingredients.
7. Lastly, add in the dried fruit and soaking liquor. Pour the mixture into the tin and bake for 60 minutes.
8. Remove from the oven; cover the top of the cake with foil and bake for a further 75 minutes until cooked through.