- Serves: 30
- Preparation time: 10 mins
- Cooking time: 45 mins
For the pudding
100g McCain Chef Solutions Simply Mash
220g dried dates
1½ tbsp malt extract
120g white self-raising flour
100g wholemeal self-raising flour
30g oat bran/pinhead oatmeal
1 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp rapeseed oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
100g-120g diced eating apple
For the sauce
200g dried dates
350ml unsweetened rice milk
2-3 tbsp cornflour
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas Mark 4.
2. Grease and line a 36cm tray bake tin.
3. Cook the Chef Solutions Simply Mash according to pack instructions. Mash and leave to cool and a large mixing bowl.
4. Place your dates in a pan and cover with the water. Bring to the boil and then simmer gently for 2-3 minutes until the dates are soft and much of the water has been absorbed.
5. Beat the date mixture with a wooden spoon to create a thick paste and mix in your malt extract. Set aside.
6. Combine the flours, oat bran and baking powder.
7. Whisk the eggs, rapeseed oil and vanilla extract before gradually beating into the cooled Chef Solutions Simply Mash, followed by the date mixture.
1. Carefully fold in the dry ingredients and diced apple to create a loose cake batter. Pour into the greased tray bake tin and bake for 45-50 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
Make your sauce
1. As with the pudding, simmer the dates and water to create a thick paste. Pour on the rice milk and heat through.
2. Combine a small amount of the hot milk with the cornflour. Tip back into the pan with the rest of the sauce and simmer until thick and glossy.
3. Divide your pudding into the required portions and top each piece with a spoonful of the sauce before serving.