- Serves: 34
- Preparation time: 1hr 30mins
- Cooking time: 18 mins
200ml hot water
200g Chef Solutions Simply Mash
500g white self-raising flour
220g wholemeal self-raising flour
2 tsp baking powder
100g sunflower margarine
2 eggs, beaten
2 tsp vanilla extract
240ml skimmed milk
5-6 drops lemon juice
1. Preheat the oven to 220°C/Gas Mark 7.
2. Place a baking tray in the oven to warm.
3. Soak your sultanas in the hot water and set aside for 90 minutes.
4. Cook the Chef Solutions Simply Mash according to pack instructions. Mash well and leave to cool.
5. Combine the white flour, wholemeal flour and baking powder in a large bowl. Rub in both the sunflower margarine and the Chef Solutions Simply Mash till it resembles a breadcrumb consistency.
6. Add the vanilla extract to the beaten eggs. Warm the milk to body temperature before adding the drops of lemon juice. You will see the milk curdle slightly.
7. Beat the egg mixture and warmed milk into the dry ingredients before stirring the soaked raisins into the soft dough.
8. Flour your work surface well. Tip out the scone mixture and pat down gently to around an inch thick.
9. Use a 6cm biscuit cutter to cut out your scones. You will need to reform the dough several times to create the total number of scones. Brush each one with milk before placing on the hot baking tray. Bake for 18 – 21 minutes, until golden brown and cooked through.