- Serves: 40
- Preparation time: 10 mins
- Cooking time: 45 mins
For the cake
360g Chef Solutions Simply Mash
440g white self-raising flour
220g wholemeal self-raising flour
300g soft brown sugar
4 tsp baking powder
300g sunflower margarine
4 tsp vanilla extract
For the filling
100g sunflower margarine
1 tbsp honey
Vanilla extract to taste
Seasonal berries (strawberries/raspberries/blueberries), can be frozen berries if out of season
To make the cake:
1. Preheat your oven to 180°C/Gas Mark 4.
2. Grease and line a square 7cm x 12cm cake tin.
3. Cook the Chef Solutions Simply Mash according to pack instructions. Mash and leave to cool.
4. Stir the flours, brown sugar and baking powder in a bowl.
5. Rub the sunflower margarine into the dry ingredients until you achieve a fine breadcrumb texture.
6. Whisk together the eggs and vanilla extract before beating into the cooled Chef Solutions Simply Mash.
7. Fold the wet mashed potato mixture into the flour/butter combination until you have a soft cake batter.
8. Spoon into the greased cake tin and bake for 45 – 50 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Leave to cool for ten minutes before turning out.
For the filling:
1. Beat the sunflower margarine, honey and vanilla extract together with a fork until smooth and creamy. Taste and add a little more vanilla if necessary. It should look and taste like vanilla buttercream.
2. Cut your cooled sponge cake in half horizontally.
3. Spread the vanilla buttercream over the bottom half of your cake. Place a single layer of berries on top before replacing the top half of the cake. Press gently together before cutting into portions.