4kg McCain Chef Solutions Simply Dice -frozen
60g flat leaf parsley
9 slices brown bread
150g plain flour
250g Cheddar cheese
150g Parmesan (dried)
180g vegetable oil
1.5kg chicken mince
30g vegetable stock
1350ml water. boiled
2.25kg chopped tomatoes 135g tomato puree
9g oregano (dried)
9g basil (dried)
1. Preheat the oven to 160°C/320°F/Gas Mark 3.
2. Place McCain Chef Solutions Simply Dice on a steam tray, place in steamer for approx. 15 minutes until soft.
3. Peel and finely chop onions and carrots. Wash and finely chop celery and mushrooms. Finely chop garlic and parsley (put aside couple of sprigs of parsley for garnish)
4. Remove potato from steamer and place into machine mixing bowl and mash with paddle until smooth. Leave to cool.
5. Place sliced bread in food processor and blitz until it is small breadcrumbs then scatter the breadcrumbs on a tray.
6. Spread plain flour evenly on a separate tray. Whisk the eggs in a bowl.
7. Add parsley, cheddar cheese and parmesan to the mash and mix well. Divide equally and shape each piece to make 48 round potato cakes. Place on tray then put in fridge to firm up.
8. Heat the vegetable oil in a large sauce pan. saute the onion, carrot, celery and garlic over a low heat until soft.
9. Add chicken mince stirring continuously until chicken has changed colour.
10. Dissolve vegetable stock in the boiling water
11. Stir into the mince the chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, oregano and basil. Add the stock and sliced mushrooms.
12. Place lid on saucepan and simmer for 25 minutes stirring occasionally until sauce has reduced.
13. Remove potato cakes from the fridge and dip each one in flour covering all sides then dip in the egg, letting the excess drip off.
14. Lay the potato cake on the breadcrumbs and scoop some over the top ensuring the cake is fully covered then put on a tray lined with parchment paper.
15. Drizzle oil in a non-stick pan over a medium heat and fry potato cakes each side until sandy brown colour.
16. Remove the bolognese from the heat and place in large oven proof dish arrange the potato cakes on top, place in oven for 10-15 minutes until potato cakes are golden. crisp and piping hot.
17. Garnish with flat parsley leaf and serve.