- Serves: 30
- Preparation time: 10 mins
- Cooking time: 22 mins
200g dried dates
200ml hot water
360g McCain Chef Solutions Simply Mash
320g white self-raising flour
160g wholemeal self-raising flour
40g cocoa powder
1 tsp salt
4 tsp baking powder
240ml rapeseed oil
4 tbsp honey
4 tsp vanilla extract
Optional cream cheese topping
600g extra light cream cheese
3 tbsp honey
4 tsp cocoa powder
1. Cover the dried dates with the hot water, cover and set aside overnight.
2. When you are ready to make the cupcakes; place the dates and their syrup into a blender and reduce to a paste. Add a little more water to loosen if required.
3. Preheat your oven to 180°C/Gas Mark 4.
4. Cook the Chef Solutions Simply Mash according to pack instructions. Mash well and leave to cool.
5. Combine the flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking powder.
6. Beat together your eggs, rapeseed oil, honey and vanilla extract. Once cool enough stir ten tablespoons of the date paste into the Chef Solutions Simply Mash before gradually whisking in the liquid ingredients.
7. Carefully fold the wet mash mixture into the dry ingredients. The cake batter should resemble a chocolate mousse in appearance.
8. Spoon into 7cm bun cases and bake for 22 minutes or until well risen and cooked through.
*For the optional topping
1. Place all of the ingredients in a bowl and combine well with a fork. Spread or pipe a small amount onto each cupcake.